Tsitsikamma Hiking Trail
The Tsitsikamma Hiking Trail forms part of MTO Ecotourism. The Tsitsikamma Hiking Trail was South Africa’s first officially accredited hiking trail and has recently been allocated the Green Flag Certificate for a trail under excellent management. The trail journeys through extensive indigenous forest and mountain fynbos. The ancient river gorges and abundant rivers and streams along this hiking trail in the Tsitsikamma will remind you of the creative power of water and the origins of the word Tsitsikamma.
Baboon, vervet monkey, large-spotted genet, bushpig and bushbuck are often encountered along the route and at overnight huts. Leopard, caracal, honey badger and blue duiker also occur, but are seldom seen. The forests provide ideal habitat for lesser seen bird species, such as rameron pigeon, narina trogon, sombre bulbul, forest buzzard, and colourful sunbirds and flycatchers. The fynbos harbours elusive endemics such as Victorins warbler, protea canary and the Cape siskin.
Hiking Trail Through the Tsitsikamma Mountains
The Tsitsikamma Hiking Trail begins in Natures Valley and ends 60km further at either the Storms River Bridge or Storms River Village. This is a six day unidirectional trail that takes hikers thought the heart of the Tsitsikamma Mountains. Each overnight hut has its own unique access route with safe parking and makes shorter variations of the trail possible. You also have the option of a 2, 3, 4 or 5 days trail.
Hiking Trail in South Africa with Equipment Porterage
The Tsitsikamma Mountain Trail offers optional equipment porterage. Your equipment can now be transported between the overnight huts on this spectacular hiking trail in South Africa. Other activities permitted include vehicular and mountain bike access to certain overnight huts and informative guided day walks
Hiking Trail Offering Overnight Accommodation
The Tsitsikamma Hiking Trail is a hiking trail offering comfortable overnight accommodation. The accommodation facilities have been upgraded to an excellent standard and you can truly enjoy magnificent views and relax in comfort at each of the five overnight huts. Route Description and Distances Between Overnight Huts:
- Day 1: Nature`s Valley – Kalander Hut – 3,6 km +- 1 hour 30 minutes
- Day 2: Kalander – Blaawkrans Hut – 13,5 km +- 6 hours
- Day 3: Blaawkrans – Keurbos Hut – 13,4 km +- 6 hours
- Day 4: Keurbos – Heuningbos Hut – 13,4 km +- 6 hours
- Day 5: Heuningbos – Sleepkloof Hut – 13,9 km +- 7 hours
- Day 6: Sleepkloof Hut – Paul Sauer Bridge – 3,2 km +- 1 hour
or Sleepkloof Hut – Storms River Village – 5,5 km +- 2 hours
Lottering Forestry Station Office (Trail Centre Point), Tsitsikamma - Storms River, Western Cape, South Africa
- Our tariffs are R200.00 per person who over night in at any of the five huts
- A day hike along the Tsitsikamma Trail will cost R50.00 per person per day
- Should you wish your groups equipment to be transported between overnight huts the cost will be R825.00 per hut for the first 5 people and then R165.00 per person thereafter additional up to 24 persons maximum per hut.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.